Sunday, October 30, 2011

Snow in Zakopane

They say “a picture is worth a thousand words” but unfortunately my pictures of the Tatra Mountains in southern Poland don’t do justice to just how beautiful the place is.  Hopefully they will give you a pretty good idea though.  On my first day in the pretty little town of Zakopane I woke up to falling snow.  With my new American and English friends we hiked up to the stunning mountain lake, Morskie Oko in the snow.
There were plenty of "wow" moments like this on our hike up the mountain!

The latest accessory coming out of Poland, the plastic poncho!  Nobody told me it would snow in Poland as early as October, hence I was completely unprepared and rather cold after six hours walking through the snow ... but at least I stayed dry!

Finally made it to Lake Morskie Oko and it was absolutely worth the effort!


This is the cosy little place where all the serious hikers go for a hearty bowl of soup ... and the customary glass of mulled wine just to help get us back down the mountain!




And just as we finished lunch the fog lifted to reveal the lake in all its glory.


Back in Zakopane that night it was time for more mulled wine accompanied by some traditional Polish music and great company.  This proved to be one of the best days on my trip so far!

1 comment:

  1. These photos are just absolutely beautiful! The one with the house is now my laptop background! I'm so glad you're adding photos to your posts =)

    Dasha

    ReplyDelete